Thursday, August 2, 2007

How would I like to change my teaching?

As we grow as teachers, our teaching methods are continually changing and evolving. The more we teach a lesson, the better we get at teaching it. We are constantly expanding our knowledge base as we teach different topics and methods. Although we develop techniques we like and use again and again, there are always ways to improve the way we teach. There are a few things in particular I would like to change about my teaching.

Firstly, I would like to incorporate more technology into my classes. I currently use PowerPoint to show slide shows of famous artworks to my students. While they enjoy seeing the pictures, they do not get to use the computer themselves. I only have one computer in my room and only have access to the computer lab during restricted hours. I would like to have my students work on digital artworks and at least learn how to manipulate a digital image.

Secondly, I would like to incorporate better critique techniques into my classes. My students presently do a group critique approximately once a month. I try to encourage more discussion of the artworks (their artwork or famous artworks) they are critiquing. The students’ responses seem very limited and not everyone actively participates. I have tried using a critique worksheet that the students fill out individually but the responses are still very limited.

I would also like to help my students to better develop portfolios. At this time, only a small percentage of my students create portfolios. The students who are applying to the county gifted program create portfolios. Even these students struggle with the portfolio process. I would like all of my students to create portfolios. Then if they would like to apply to the gifted program, they could simply choose pieces already included in their portfolios. Right now, I do not have students create portfolios due to space limitations and due to the students’ excitement to take home their projects. I would like to find a way for them to create portfolios with those limitations.

No comments: